I love bacon. My husband loves bacon. Every single child in our brood of ten children loves bacon. I wish I could win the Lotto so I could buy a dump truck full of local bacon from that cool family at the farmer's market, meet them HERE. It is $9 a pound and while I flinch when buying it, I drool at the same time. Here are our top six ways of serving it:
6. In scrambled eggs. Fry chopped bacon. Add eggs. Cook. Eat. Swoon. Repeat once a week to perpetuate feelings of joy.
5. Pasta Carbonara. This is the favorite of at least three kids. Cheese and bacon. Enough said.
4. Split Pea Soup. The fav of three different kids. I cook the bacon, pull it, finish the aromatics in the fat and cook it. Then top with crumbled bacon. Oh my kids beg for soup. It is the magic of bacon.
3. Wrapped around pork loin. Bacon mummified roasted meats make me happy. After all, it is the next best thing to bacon wrapped bacon.
2. In sautéd cabbage. Brown bacon, reserve. Sauté cabbage in bacon fat. Sprinkle with bacon. Do it with any veggie because anybody will eat them with bacon. Even the neighbor kid who thinks vegetables are mythical creatures.
1. As bacon. Fried bacon is bliss. When I cook it for other things, we tend to pick it off the plate. I have to kick everyone out of the kitchen and find some ice to chew on to make sure we have it for the intended delicious dish. Sometimes we gotta fry it just to shove it in our mouths. While hot. All of it. It is pricey so we don't get it this way often but when we do, it is fabulous!
Oh...smokey and unctuous delight.. thy name is bacon! What do you do with yours?