Today is a less than verbose post. Mostly I am linking to other things I have written about before. I had promised this post and planned to do a little more original writing but I have fallen behind in things this week because we have had extra things going on this week that kept me busy. But it is all in good fun and you'll get the info in the end. confused by the title? Food pets are my little nickname for all those living cultures like kombucha, kefir, water kefir, viili and sourdough. The dishes are probably pretty obvious.
The best piece of advice I can offer to you in keeping your spirits up when bogged down in cooking chores and dishes is to make a list of reasons you eat the way that you do and why the work is worth it. My list is HERE and it is more than a little sassy. After you have that list all figured out, the rest of my tips will be helpful:
- I keep a calendar to let me know what food pets need attention and when. I have a food zoo at times with lots of cultures. THIS post tells you all about my calendar system.
- Handling food pets in the summer can be tricky, since it is getting warmer, HERE is how I handle it.
- Fruit flies love ferments and last summer we tried 11 popular tips to see just what will attract and drown fruit flies (hint: red wine). Read all about the experiment HERE
- To keep the dishes from piling up while I am cooking, I wash while I cook. Run some soapy water and get to it. If you have a kid eight and over, then make them wash while you cook. THIS short post tells you a bit more, like using oxybleach to soak stubborn pots.
- Part of the trick to dishes is just to get them over with. Just do it. The dirty dishes spilling out of the sink depresses you and makes you feel badly so do them and feel better. THIS post is more of the same suggestion.
- Make your kids put their own dishes in the dishwasher after every meal. At my house, the older ones also have to remove one younger kids (that is, someone too little). Show them how to load and unload the dishwasher and spread the work around. THIS brief post says pretty much the same thing.
- Curious what a day in my life looks like? HERE it is.
I am going to be taking a couple of days of for the Easter weekend. I hope that if you celebrate Easter, your holiday is joyous and if you don't, I hope you still have a great weekend!